Using your smartphone while driving can be a dangerous activity, and while it may be tempting to quickly send that text while waiting at the traffic light, it is much safer to connect your mobile device to your car through platforms like Apple CarPlay or Android Auto and send it hands-free.
The Datsun GO and Datsun GO+ come standard with a trendy 7-inch touchscreen infotainment and compatibility for both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
This means you can connect your smartphone both wirelessly or through a cable and be able to access features such as music, messages and maps in a way that is safer than taking your eyes off the road and hands off the steering wheel.
South Africa has one of the highest road accident rates in the world, according to the International Transport Forum’s (ITF) Road Safety Annual Report, with around 25% of those accidents caused using mobile phones while driving.
Here is a simple guide to connecting your phone to your Datsun so that you don’t become a statistic:
- Your Android device needs to run Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher.
- Download Android Auto from the Google Play Store.
- Connect your phone to the car via Bluetooth or USB cable while the car is on but parked.
- Select Android Auto on your car display and the instructions to get started.
- Go into your iPhone settings and make sure that Siri is turned on.
- Connect your phone to the car via USB cable while the car is on but parked.
- Or if you prefer Bluetooth, press and hold the voice-command button on your steering wheel. Then on your iPhone, go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap Available cars, then select your car.
- Select Apple CarPlay on your car display and the instructions to get started.
Both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay will let you use their personal digital assistants, OK Google and Siri, to control apps via voice command.
When making a call or listening to music all sound will be played through your Datsun GO’s sound system.
These platforms will also give turn-by-turn navigation when using one of the maps apps, as well as show a large map on the car display.
When your phone is connected there is a myriad apps and functions you can use while driving around.
It is suggested that you familiarise yourself with the different app offerings in your car while you are parked and do not try to sort it out while driving.
Words by Datsun South Africa.
Leave a comment